St Martin’s CE VA Primary School
Our School Curriculum has been designed to ensure each and every child can ‘Serve one another in love’ by enabling our children to flourish, widen their horizons and aspire to be the best that they can be. Our teaching has Christian values at the heart. We serve our children by teaching a rich, relevant curriculum and aspire to the highest possible standards in our work and practice.
Our curriculum is based on our locality and ensures full coverage of the National curriculum. We make the most of our environment and plan educational visits each half term to complement our curriculum. Each subject leader has a comprehensive curriculum intent, implementation and impact document.
- Christian faith at the heart of our school curriculum.
- Every child the opportunity to learn in a stimulating environment in which they can achieve their potential and be the best that they can be.
- Every child in Year 4 and 6 access to a residential visit to experience outdoor activities and a contrasting locality.
- Every child in Year 3 to Year 6 swimming lessons on a regular basis. As a coastal school it is our priority to ensure our children stay safe near the sea.
- Every child in Year 6 children ‘Bikeability’ training to ensure that they remain safe on our roads
- Every child the experience of 6 educational visits a year that enhance their bespoke curriculum.
- Every child in Year 1 to Year 6 quality weekly PE lessons with a specialist PE teacher supplemented by cricket, rugby and dance coaching from local sports clubs.
- Every child the chance to be part of a theatre performance annually.
- Every child the opportunity to learn a musical instrument in Year 3.
- A celebration of every child’s unique gifts.
- High quality speech and language support.
- Every child the opportunity in Year 6 to take part in the Archbishop of York Young Leaders Award.
- Every child the opportunity to access a wide range of after school activities including sporting clubs, craft clubs, science clubs, music and singing clubs etc.
As a Church of England School we aim for our curriculum to have a distinctively Christian ethos at the heart of everything that we do. It is firmly rooted in the teachings of the Anglican Church and our RE curriculum is directed by The Diocese of York. We want our children to look outwards, seeking to serve our global family as we treat our environment and global neighbours with respect and understanding.